Save the Rare Lockwood/Avery Granary
Isaac and Elvira Lockwood were among the earliest pioneers to settle in Marshall Township. In 1848, Isaac purchased the first 80 acres on which Lockwood House is located. The Isaac Lockwood House was placed on the National Register in 1994. By the 1860s he and his sons Henry, Augustus and Peter owned several hundred acres of forested farmland in Marshall Township which they cleared. The Lockwood’s were active in the educational, religious, and political life of Marshall.
The granary was built in the Italian Villa style on Lockwood Farm around the same time as Lockwood House, circa 1855. It was located West of the present barn. In the early 1900s, it was moved across the road to Isaac’s nephew Glenn Lockwood’s farm. Glenn, who died in 1934, was the last Lockwood to farm in Marshall Township The farm was later purchased by Myron Avery, Sr. Myron was the last to use the granary. The granary was donated to CCAIS by Tyler & Lisa Avery.
The granary – in absolutely rare, significant form -- retains all of its original bins, leather belts and metal drive equipment, which originally would have been operated by a steam engine and later by a tractor. The granary is very likely a one of a kind building.
When the State Historic Preservation Office reviewed the National Register nomination for the Isaac Lockwood house, they said the granary was a one-of-a-kind building, very worthy of being preserved.
The granary was moved to the Calhoun County Fairgrounds in November 2020 where it can be preserved and help educate future generations about the importance of agriculture in our lives.
Become a Part of the Team!
Save this extraordinary piece of history! Donations may be made online or sent to CCAIS 720 Fair Street, Marshall, MI 49068 with the notation it’s for the Granary Project. Thank you to the many individuals and businesses who have already donated.
For more information email [email protected]
Great article from the Battle Creek Enquirer
In Memory of Vic and Charlie Parker
Significant donations were received for the granary project in August 2020, after a member and longtime volunteer of the fair, Vic Parker, passed and funds were received in his honor for the project.
When another member of the same family, Charlie Parker, passed in 2021, the family, as long-time supporters of the CCAIS and its mission, again paid tribute in his memory by supporting this project in his honor. The Parker family owned the Lockwood Farm (where the granary was originally located) from 1939-1987.
Our sincere thanks to both the families of Charlie and Vic Parker for their support in helping save this rare one of a kind piece of agricultural history.